ALIGN TECHNOLOGY AWARDS FOURTEEN GRANTS TOTALING $310,000 AS PART OF ITS UNIVERSITY RESEARCH AWARD PROGRAM 2016 FOR ORTHODONTIC THERAPY AND INTRAORAL SCANNERS
SAN JOSE, CA — (Marketwired) — 06/01/16 — Align Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: ALGN) today announced fourteen research awards totaling $310,000 in new funding to four universities in North America and eight International universities for projects seeking to better understand treatment in orthodontics, dentistry and the uses of intraoral scanners.
“We are very excited that universities all over the globe are showing great interest in the Align Research Awards Program,” said John Morton, Align Technology Sr. Technical Fellow. “The number of applications and the quality of the proposed research increases every year. Align is honored to be able to provide this opportunity for researchers who endeavor to improve dental and orthodontic treatment of patients worldwide.”
The North America research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Katie Julien and Dr. James Boley at Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry (Dallas, TX), $25,000
- Dr. J. Martin Palomo and Sofia Xofylli at Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH), $25,000
- Dr. Prashanti Bollu and Dr. Glen Roberson at Roseman University of Health Sciences (Henderson, NV), $25,000
- Dr. Tarek El-Bialy at University of Alberta (Alberta, CA), $25,000
The International research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Guo Hua Tang, Dr. Feng Ting Chu and Dr. Yi Ming Yang at Shanghai JiaoTong University (Shanghai, China), $25,000
- Dr. Jing Guo, Dr. Deshui, Dr. Xiaoxin Shi, Dr. Delong Jiao, Dr. Shanshan Cao, Dr. Jing Liu, Dr. Guangxue Wu, Dr. Dingyang Li, Dr. Ning Zhou, Dr. Xinwei Chen and Dr. Jiayu Li at Shandong University (Shandong, China), $25,000
- Dr. Ellen Wen-Ching Ko at Chang Gung University (Taipei, Taiwan), $25,000
- Dr. Kamy Malekian, Dr. Juan Carlos Palma Fernandez, Dr. Leonor Muelas Fernandez and Dr. Eva Maria Rosa Vazquez at Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Madrid, Spain), $25,000
- Dr. Christina Erbe and Dr. Thomas Drechsler at University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg (Mainz, Germany), $25,000
- Dr. Laura Strohmenger, Dr. Angela Malerba and Dr. Araxi Balian at Universita degli Studi di Milano (Milano, Italy), $25,000
- Dr. Graciela Julia Barreda, Dr. Gabriela Caldentey, Dr. Elizabeth Alejandra Dzierewianko, Dr. Valeria Mazza, Dr. Rocio Moreno, Dr.Karina Andrea Munoz, Dr. Gisela Ines Piccoli and Dr. Hugo Jorge Romanelli at S.A.O.-U.C.E.S (Buenos Aires, Argentina), $25,000
- Dr. Chiu-Mei Lo and Dr. Susie Lin at National Defense Medical Center (Taipei, Taiwan), $25,000
“The response from the academic community has been increasingly positive in the European and Asia Pacific regions, especially Greater China, where there has been increase in growth of clear aligner therapy and keen interest in advancing the science and research at these reputable universities,” said Mitra Derakhshan, Align Technology Sr. Director, Global Clinical.
The funded research studies cover a wide range of topics including root resorption, treatment stability, comparisons of success of treatment using aligners versus fixed appliances, and the use of aligners in surgical treatment.
The intraoral scanner research award recipients for 2016 are:
- Dr. Sarah Rolland and Mrs. Ania Cala at Newcastle University (Newcastle, UK), $5,000
- Dr. Giuseppe Riccardo Spampinato and Tommaso Castroflorio at Universita degli Studi di Catania (Catania, Italy), $5,000
The intraoral scanner awards address the use of scanners in education and in the treatment of special needs patients.
All proposals received were reviewed and prioritized by an independent academic committee in a blind evaluation. The 2017 Align Research Award Program submission details are to be announced later this year.
About Align Technology, Inc. Align Technology is the leader in modern clear aligner orthodontics that designs, manufactures and markets the Invisalign® system, which provides dental professionals with a range of treatment options for adults and teenagers. Align also offers the iTero 3D digital scanning system and services for orthodontic and restorative dentistry. Align was founded in March 1997 and received FDA clearance to market the Invisalign system in 1998. Visit www.aligntech.com for more information.
For additional information about the Invisalign system or to find an Invisalign provider in your area, please visit www.invisalign.com. For additional information about the iTero 3D digital scanning system, please visit www.itero.com.
Source: Align Technology News Provided by Acquire Media